infantlamb asked: Hey Rodrigo, I'm playing a 4e game and it's a very heavy on roleplaying. We often go sessions without a single encounter. How would Roleplaying experience be calculated? How do you decided when one roleplay scene starts and another ends? And how would you attribute the amount of exp. to a roleplay scene? Any advice would be appreciated.
Usually, when a session doesn’t have a single combat or skill encounter I give my players XP equal to a single encounter at their level. This keeps the XP ball rolling without speeding up advancement too much.
"But, Rodrigo," You might say. "Doesn’t that mean that combatty sessions will give the players more XP, thus encouraging combat?"
Probably, but D&D already encourages combat over everything else. It really makes a lot more sense that combat encounters will go farther toward gaining you that level 5 attack power than a diplomacy session.
Furthermore (and I’ve talked about this before) I don’t use XP as a reward. Advancement happens as the game goes on, not because the players did something I liked or didn’t like. Problematic decisions or passive players are usually dealt with naturally through in-game consequences (or lack thereof for lazy butts).
As far as the length of a scene, go with what feels natural. Still, if there’s a question here’s a few common markers of the start of a new scene:
- The group changes location
- the camera changes location (as in two players are off doing something else and we switch to them)
- 50% or more of the people involved in this scene leave
- several new characters enter the location
- something happens that everyone must react to (usually the start of a fight, but a grenade rolling in works too)
- Official proceedings start (so gearing up for the trial and the actual trial are two different scenes, even though locations and people are the same)
- any amount of time is abstracted. For example: if your artificer is still alone in his shop but at some point you go “ok, you work on this for 9 hours” when time picks up again you’re in a new scene.
Thanks for listening, hope that helps.
R knows his DM’ing isht!
Russian bear wrestling lady knight
K, I got this out of the randomizer
Which made me want to draw this
Lady wrestling a bear! Awesome! But not really a lady knight design so I also drew her in a more soldiery/knightly get up :)
Props as always to Dogbomber for the randomizer :D find it hmya http://dogbomber.tumblr.com/post/77216633474/its-no-secret-that-i-like-lady-knights-like-a
Lady Knights (like…again…. whatever it is hella fun)
Props again to Dogbomber for the randomizer :D find it hmya http://dogbomber.tumblr.com/post/77216633474/its-no-secret-that-i-like-lady-knights-like-a
More lady knights animated gif fun :D Props again to Dogbomber for the randomizer :D find it hmya http://dogbomber.tumblr.com/post/77216633474/its-no-secret-that-i-like-lady-knights-like-a